Greetings Region VIII:
I can’t believe it has been almost 3 years since I became Chairperson of Region VIII. As Rocky Balboa once said, “Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!” Trust me, while sometimes all I did was move forward, it has been the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t have changed it for the world.
As most of you know, 3 years prior to my elected Chair position, I served as the Non-Union Representative. Over the years, I have made visits to Capitol Hill, spoken with senators and representatives, as well as continually advocated for the safety of the American Worker and the VPP Act. In addition, I joined the National VPPPA Legislative and Regulatory Committee and proud of the work our Government Affairs Team has accomplished. I’ve attended OSHA’s Workers Memorial, as well as cherished the opportunity to perform last year’s invocation. While I have been the recipient of OSHA’s Region VIII’s SGE of the Year as well as the OSHA National SGE of the Year, it’s what we’ve accomplished together that I’m most proud of.
- Both the lead and co-sponsor (bipartisan supporter’s) for the VPP Act are from Region VIII!
- Together, we have increased our annual conference attendance and revenue.
- Our social media followers have increased by ~65%.
- Our attendance at the National Conference has increased by ~61%.
- Our conference sponsorship has increased by ~80%.
- We continue a sound relationship with our State Planned States.
- We continue to coordinate events with WY Workforce Services and the North Dakota Safety Council.
- We launched and continue to modify a user-friendly website.
- What’s Gr8 in R8 continues success.
- Region VIII now has two National Committee Members.
- The state of VPP(PA) in Region VIII remains strong.
I look forward to being a part of what the future holds for Region VIII VPPPA. I can honestly say it has been an honor to serve and lead the best VPPPA Chapter in the United States—thank you!
Until we meet again in 2017, I’ll leave you with this Charlie Day quote: “You cannot let a fear of failure or a fear of comparison or a fear of judgment stop you from doing what’s going to make you great. You cannot succeed without this risk of failure. You cannot have a voice without the risk of criticism and you cannot love without the risk of loss.”
Mark A. Moya,